Driving While Impaired is a very serious charge (DWI-NC), and so is Driving While Under the Influence (DUI-SC). When charged with one of these crimes, everyone tends to look for the best DWI/DUI attorney they can find. They want the best DWI Lawyer in Charlotte or they want the best DUI Lawyer in Rock Hill, or they put some other variation of those search terms in their internet browser.
The best is really a matter of opinion and a lot of things are factored in. As a matter of fact, rules of professional conduct prevent any attorney or law firm from calling themselves the best, or even hinting that they are superior to other attorneys or other firms. So, what people really are looking for is who would be the best FOR THEM. In this blog, we will talk about some of the factors that people tend to look for when finding who is the best for them. Like all our blogs, this blog is intended for general informational purposes only and not intended as a substitute for the advice and counsel of a DWI attorney.
Factors considered regarding the “best” DUI/DWI attorneys
There seems to be a common thread with what people are looking for in DWI attorneys (or maybe, what they should be looking for), with goals that include but are not limited to:
- Communication – DWI/DUI can be very complicated. There are a lot of consequences that you may face, a lot of steps that must be taken, and several different questions or issues that might come up. Whether it be about license suspension issues, ignition interlock questions, or whether it is in your best interest to take a plea, there will be and should be a lot of communication. The best DWI attorney communication should leave you understanding what is going on with your situation and where you are in the process.
- Best defense possible … under the circumstances – There are a large number of defensive strategies, that would be involved in DWI case, whether there is a full DWI trial or not. Some of those strategies/options include but are not limited to:
- Whether there will be a reasonable suspicion challenge
- Whether there will be a probable cause challenge
- Whether the DWI/DUI will be litigated regarding appreciable impairment
- When it is best to take a plea instead of a trial
- What motions can be filed in your case that would help.
- Availability – DWI cases involve many court dates. Unfortunately, sometimes potential clients wait until the last minute to hire someone and that attorney may not be available due to the timing of your case the location of the courthouse your case will be in. Prior planning helps issues of availability and that is the biggest factor the client himself can control.
The “best” DWI/DUI attorney in Charlotte, the “best” DWI/DUI attorney in Rock Hill, the “best” DWI/DUI attorney in Gastonia, and the “best” DWI/DUI attorney in Monroe, are all fallacies. Find someone that you think is going to do the best job they can under the circumstances for you, and that’s all you can hope for.